Image: monticellllo/Adobe Stock Given that Microsoft created one of the only Electron-based apps where users do not grumble about efficiency– Visual Studio Code– it’s constantly been irritating that the Teams customer has actually been so slow and resource starving. What Microsoft is hailing as a “new age” of Teams is a new variation of the Groups app rebuilt not to utilize Electron.
When and where you can use the brand-new Microsoft Teams app
Microsoft prepares to have the brand-new Groups app usually offered later in 2023, most likely in June. In the meantime, the new Groups app is just offered for Windows 10 and 11, not on Macs or in the web customer, which is the only choice for Linux users. Likewise, IT admins will need to make it possible for the alternative for users to switch to the brand-new app since there are a number of Teams features that aren’t yet readily available in the new Teams client.
New Microsoft Teams app’s UI
The new Teams app has a slightly various interface. Apart from the Windows 11 appearance (using Mica) and a dark mode that follows your OS setting, the most obvious modification in the Teams app may be that brand-new posts in a chat or channel now appear at the top of the screen rather than the bottom. Threaded replies might also make things clearer, and when you read through a long discussion, messages and replies will now just scroll instead of packing 10 at a time.
Sign into numerous work accounts with the brand-new Groups app
This Microsoft app includes one of the most-requested functions: You can lastly sign in with several Groups accounts– not just your individual account however org accounts or any various occupants you belong to– without needing to have a various web internet browser for each of them, or utilize Microsoft Edge to pin multiple copies of the Groups app for the different tenants. Clicking your profile image at the top of the window lets you add another work account; when you do, Groups will reveal you notices from all your accounts. If you’re a visitor user in another company like a supplier or a consumer, that account will appear in Groups automatically.
You can add numerous work accounts to Teams and set your profile for each of them. Image: Microsoft. You can set your status in a different way for each account, and you can change to another account to inspect something or send out a message without leaving of a meeting or needing to hang up the call you’re on. Color code different accounts to help you area which one you’re using so you don’t lose track of what you can go over where. With multiple accounts, you can use the list of notices to see where individuals are discussing you. Image: Microsoft In general, I found this works well and saves a great deal of time, but Teams might not always sign you in with the account you expect, or the ideal represent your next meeting, so watch on it. New Microsoft Teams notifications might be confusing Another huge modification: Microsoft Teams no longer
sends its own toast alerts however instead utilizes Windows
notices, so users will have to make it possible for those to get pop-up reminders about meetings or to see inbound calls. Windows can’t stack numerous notices for contact screen, so you will need to look at the action center– and you might want to increase the number of notifications you see there from the default 3 to the optimum 20 allowed and increase the top priority of Groups. Not being able to stack notifications means if there’s a pop-up notification for a conference that you haven’t dismissed, you will not see
the notification for an inbound call up until you dismiss or accept that conference invitation– the call notice will remain in the action center, and if the caller is still waiting when you close the other toast, you’ll see the call request. This will probably take some getting used to, and it will be simple to miss out on some calls until you do. When I left this Teams conference request alert open onscreen, it stopped me from seeing the notice for an inbound call. Image: Mary Branscombe By default, Microsoft stated that Groups alerts won’t break through Focus and Do Not Disturb mode, but we discovered it did on a minimum of one system where we had not configured it to
. Users may or may not see a demand from Microsoft Teams to enable alerts in Windows for this. If you’re sharing your screen in Microsoft Teams and have actually muted notices, they will still pop up, which may reveal something you do not want people in the meeting to see. The workaround is to share a window rather
than your entire desktop or usage PowerPoint Live rather than simply opening PowerPoint to reveal your slides. Silencing notifications for a conference chat does not constantly work at the moment either. What works in the brand-new Microsoft Teams app Activity feed. Chat. Calls, consisting of Teams-to-Teams calls, however not calls to or from phone numbers. You have to switch on notifications in Windows to receive inbound calls. Meetings, with alerts that a meeting will start as long as you’ve switched on Windows notifications, plus
- customized backgrounds and
- Live. Teams and channels, consisting of the new channels experience. Checking in to several work accounts and tenants. Downloading, uploading and seeing files or using the Files tab in chats and channels but not the Files app. File libraries work, however they will change to SharePoint file libraries the first time you open them.
- Some Groups apps from Microsoft: Approvals, Excel, Power BI, PowerPoint, OneNote, Shifts, Tasks and Word worked for me, as did Viva Insights and Viva Knowing– although the sneak peek app includes a warning
- that Viva won’t work. Trying to install Viva Sales stopped working with a cryptic message, however when I returned to traditional Teams it was installed and readily available, though it still didn’t work in the new Teams app. The Teams preview caution has a quick list of what works and a link with more details. Image: Mary Branscombe What does not work yet in the brand-new Microsoft Teams app You can’t utilize the brand-new Groups on a Mac, your Virtual Desktop Facilities or in the web client. That will come, but don’t anticipate changes to the mobile app on iOS or Android, since new Groups is simply for desktop and web. It’s not yet available to academic clients or the specialised clouds that Microsoft runs, like the high-security government cloud(GCC High, DoD). Microsoft stated the new Groups app will be coming to education “soon.” You can’t utilize sophisticated calling functions like call lines, voice-enabled channels, speed dial,
shared lines and reverse number lookup, or make calls to phones
- — and you can’t change your voicemail settings. If you utilize a Teams device, you can’t silence or unmute it yet. Advanced conference functions aren’t readily available; this includes custom-made lobby backgrounds, breakout rooms for organizers or attendees
- , 7 × 7 video grid, room audio, presenter choices and the occasion speaker experience– consisting of the cameo, reporter, standout and side-by-side advanced presenter modes. You can download the meeting attendance report manually after a conference
- but only for the current conference, not older channel conferences. You can’t develop brand-new Groups or channels, cross-post to several places or make channel statements. You can’t add a channel calendar. You can’t search in chats and channels. You can’t use Loop components in the brand-new Teams yet. The tools for producing a Loop element aren’t in the chat editor and, if you paste in a Loop part from in other places, you just get a link that opens the part on a websites, not the live component to collaborate in. The activity tab in chat and the capability to track when somebody is readily available are gone. A great deal of apps do not work including the Files app, Microsoft’s Organization Central app, any third-party apps or line-of-business apps that companies have actually developed, so the App button isn’t on the left rail, and you only have access to apps that are currently installed and
- pinned or that can be added inside a channel
- . You can go back to classic Groups and install an app and, if it’s compatible, it will appear in brand-new Groups (make sure to pin the app in timeless Teams as well, as you can’t do that in brand-new Groups yet). The Wiki app is gone and not anticipated to return, so utilize the Notes app instead. Microsoft says third-party and line-of-business apps, advanced calling and meetings
- functions, and Mac, VDI and web assistance will come later this year– some, like Mac support on both Intel and M1/M2 devices, most likely before June. And all brand-new functions that aren’t currently promised for the timeless Groups app will enter into the brand-new Groups app just. The AI Copilot for Groups that helps you discover information and summarize conferences is due in a couple of months.< img src="https://www.techrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/If-you-try-to-use-an-app-like-Business-Central-Teams-will-prompt-you-to-go-back-to-the-classic-Teams-app-770x517.png" alt=" If you try to use an app like Service Central, Groups will prompt you to return to the classic Teams app." width ="770"height="517 "/ > If you attempt to utilize an app like Organization CentralBranscombe Under the hood of the brand-new Microsoft Teams app Microsoft promised faster performance in Groups for things you do regularly: not just beginning the app however joining a conference, changing channels or scrolling back through a chat– where you can keep on scrolling without waiting on batches of content to load. There are no placeholders, so when you see something it’s real material instead of an image of where content ought to be. Utilizing fewer resources– consisting of lowering memory use by as much as half–
, Teams will trigger you to return to the timeless Groups app. Image: Mary Branscombe( There are brand-new functions in classic Groups as well: 3D avatars are now in sneak peek, the Speaker Coach from PowerPoint is now in Groups to help you evaluate how well you presented a slide deck throughout the conference or later on, and a new Loop component for collaborative conference notes will remain in sneak peek in April. Teams will begin muting your microphone and speakers if you remain in the exact same area as someone in the very same meeting to prevent feedback. )Although the slider on Groups to opt in to the new client looks rather like the one in Outlook that changes to the brand-new ribbon, this closes Groups and loads a whole new app and reloads the basic Teams app if you turn the slider off once again. But that took less than 5 seconds in my tests(although it’s faster to switch to the brand-new Groups app than back to the old one), so you can check out the new app and change back rapidly if you need something it does not do yet. Or you can leave traditional Teams running in an internet browser
tab in case you need it; the web browser will likely sleep the tab so it doesn’t utilize resources unless you’re opening it often. The slider lets you switch to the new Teams client, or back to the present client if there are functions you need. Image: Mary
will likewise indicate your laptop battery lasts longer. Much of that comes from changes to how Groups is architected: moving information processing out of the primary thread– where it can disrupt what you’re seeing and doing on screen– and moving from Electron to WebView2, which uses the variation of the Chromium internet browser engine you currently have actually installed in Windows as part of Edge. The video in online meetings needs less CPU power, which indicates advanced functions like the 7 × 7 video grid and the Dynamic View options for moving and resizing essential conference material will be available on PCs with less effective GPUs. The brand-new Groups architecture utilizes WebView2 and is designed for much better efficiency. Image: Microsoft This is based on the work Microsoft did in constructing the customer variation of Teams, which didn’t require as many functions and didn’t need to be restored. After evaluating that for individual Groups users, Microsoft began adding the essential business functions, although the preview is introducing with just some of those in location. The Microsoft
Teams app is now packaged utilizing MSIX, so you can handle setup to brand-new users with Intune. With the variety of missing out on features, the brand-new Groups app deserves its sneak peek tab and may not be useful for the majority of users as their primary Teams customer, but I’m already impressed with the enhanced efficiency and battery life, so it’s worth putting in the time to allow the sneak peek in preparation for it reaching Targeted Release in mid-April 2023 and preparing to support users who are trying it out themselves. Read next: Microsoft Teams is a small business tool,
thanks to the brand-new Communities include(TechRepublic)Source